The activities that are carried out on roofs are generally known as construction or maintenance work. These kinds of work include repairing, altering, renovating, maintaining, converting, dismantling or demolishing a roof of a structure. These activities may include roof restoration, tiling, and installation of solar panels, etc. Minor work on roofs like a replacement of roof tiles or cleaning the roof gutters may not be considered as construction work, but they also have the same type of risks making the utilization of upgraded roof access equipment a necessity.
When Does Roof Work Becomes A Risk Factor For Workers
Construction work on roofs becomes fatal when it involves:
- The risk of a worker falling from more than two meters· Asbestos disorder
- Knocking down of an element of a construction that is load-bearing or else associated to the physical integrity of the construction such as invigorating on a roof
- Working near electrical lines
So it is important to prepare a safe work method statement before working on a high-risk construction site. In the statement the measures taken for controlling the risk must be mentioned clearly and also mention the correct usage of the roof access equipment. This will help the workers to follow the rules and work safely.
Choosing Proper Equipment For Working On Roofs
A part of the roof fatality prevention list is to reduce the falls from roofs with the help of roof access equipment. Below are some options that are related to the hierarchy of controls for roof hazard management. Each of the controls has certain benefits depending upon the work nature. Some roof hazards will require many equipment to manage the hazard effectively. Here is some basic equipment that is needed while dealing with the roof hazard business.
- Ladder – This is the most important and most commonly used roof access equipment. A ladder that is 30 to 40 ft. is required that can easily be allowed the access of the roof. The ladder must be of the best quality because this equipment will be needed regularly on the roof accessing site.
- Safety tools – while working with heights safety measures must be taken at every step. The necessary safety tools help the workers from not getting hurt and stay safe throughout the assignment. This type of tool includes gloves, hard hats and safety glasses.
- Pry Bar – This roof access equipment will help to remove nails from the old roofs. A flat pry bar can loosen and remove nails and it can also be used to knock down areas of the roof that are hard to collapse.
- Cordless drill – This is a priceless tool that every roofing contractor must need. This tool is needed while drilling holes in wood, concrete and metals and putting in screws or any type of clutch. If you are working with the installation of solar panels or roof tiles then this roof access equipment is a must inclusion for your inventory.
- Pneumatic nail gun – This is important roof access equipmentthat is used during securing shingles and flashing into place on a roof. While doing this you will need to hammer a lot of nails within seconds to make the roofing process quicker and easier.
- General tool kit – While working in the job site anything may happen so this general tool kit will help you to tackle this type of situation. It includes screwdrivers, hammers, chisels, hacksaws, etc. this everyday kit will help you not fumble and keep getting up and down to fetch basic equipment.
As the roof provides the structural integrity to a house its maintenance and construction should be done with utmost concentration and efficiency. With proper roofaccess equipment your work will get easier and you will be capable of performing any type of roofing jobs efficiently.