Said in simple terms, a router can be best described as being a device that communicates with your device, as to which it connects to the internet. As the name implies, it essentially routes traffic between the internet and internet capable devices. With an ideal router, you could be receiving much faster internet speeds as well as enhanced protection from shady individuals. Additionally, getting the right router can mean the difference between full reception within your home and numerous Wi-Fi dead spots. Oftentimes, people confuse modems with routers and assume that the terms can be used interchangeably. This is far from the truth, especially when it comes to wireless routers. In today's post, we take a closer look at what Wi-Fi routers are, the difference between routers and modems as well as some info on choosing the ideal router.
What Is A Wireless Router?
When it comes to routers, you have two different types to choose from. The first of which are called wired routers. As its name implies wired routers, route traffic between the internet and your devices, via wired connections. Wired routers typically have multiple ports as to which you can connect multiple devices via wired connections. The second of which is known as wireless routers. Wireless routers are connected to a modem, via physical cable. This enables them to get and transmit information via the internet. Once you connect a router, it then goes on to create what's known as a WiFi network. They function exactly the same as wired routers, with the exception that it wirelessly routes internet traffic to multiple devices.
Top Rated Wireless Internet Routers of June 2021
Rating is 5 out of 5
NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router, R6700 - AC1750 Wireless Speed Up to 1750 Mbps | Up to 1500 Sq Ft Coverage & 25 Devices | 4 x 1G Ethernet and 1 x 3.0 USB Ports | Armor Security
- Recommended for up to 25 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- Wired Ethernet ports: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 gigabit Ethernet ports
- Loaded with advanced technology: Designed with a 1GHz dual core processor, 3 amplified antennas, Beamforming plus, Dynamic QoS, Smart Connect, and more
- USB connections: Share a storage drive or printer with any connected device or create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere, using the 1 x 3.0 USB port
- Safe & secure: Supports WPA2 wireless security protocols. Includes Guest Wi-Fi access, DOS, Firewall, VPN, and more.
- Netgear Armor protects your network and connected devices from Internet threats; Get peace of mind knowing you have the best in class anti virus, anti malware, and data protection for all your smart devices, smartphones, and computers with a 30 day free trial
Rating is 4.9 out of 5
TP-Link AX5400 WiFi 6 Router (Archer AX73)- Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router, High-Speed ax Router for Streaming, Long Range Coverage
- Gigabit WiFi for 8K Streaming – Up to 5400 Mbps WiFi for faster browsing, streaming, gaming and downloading, all at the same time
- Full Featured WiFi 6 Router– Equipped with 4T4R and HE160 technologies on the 5 GHz band to enable max 4.8 Gbps ultra-fast connections
- Connect More Devices – Supports MU-MIMO and OFDMA to reduce congestion and 4X the average throughput*
- Extensive Coverage - Enjoy stable WiFi connections, even in the kitchen and bedroom. High-Power FEM, 6× Antennas, Beamforming, and 4T4R structures combine to adapt WiFi coverage to perfectly fit your home and concentrate signal strength towards your devices
- More Vents, Less Heat – Improved vented areas help unleash the full power of the router
- USB Sharing – 1× USB 3.0 port enables easy media sharing and private cloud storage
Rating is 4.8 out of 5
Speedefy AC2100 Smart WiFi Router - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Router for Home & Gaming, 4x4 MU-MIMO, 7x6dBi External Antennas for Strong Signal, Parental Control, Support IPv6 (Model K7)
- Outstanding Wireless Speed: Speedefy K7 smart wireless router supports 2100M (1733Mbps/5GHz + 300Mbps/2.4GHz) dual band gigabit WiFi. Dual cores CPU reduces buffering and provides high speed web browsing, video streaming and gaming.
- Excellent and Powerful Signal: Cutting-edge 7*6dBi external Antennas, 4*4 MU-MIMO, delivers powerful signal, coverage every corner of the room.
- Simple Setup, Easy Management: One-Stop installation is easily achieved in 5 mins. App or web interface management brings more convenience for preference setting.
- Safeguard Security of Your Internet: Complete WPA2 protocols ensure internet security, detect and prevent risks from internet in real time, keep your WiFi stable and secure.
- Various Advanced Features: Parental control manages your kids' internet access; Accelerate WiFi helps to quickly optimize your internet; Guest network separates own information from others’.
Rating is 4.7 out of 5
ASUS WiFi 6 Router (RT-AX3000) - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router, Gaming & Streaming, AiMesh Compatible, Included Lifetime Internet Security, Parental Control, MU-MIMO, OFDMA
- The Next Gen WiFi Standard - Future proof your home network with the next-gen WiFi 6 technology, providing up to 2. 7x faster speed than the previous WiFi generation featuring OFDMA and MU-MIMO technology.
- Ultra-Fast Wi-Fi - RT-AX3000 supports 160MHz bandwidth and 1024-QAM, boasting a total network speed of 3000 Mbps - 575Mbps on the 2. 4GHz band, and 2402GHz on the 5GHz band.
- The Most Powerful Mesh System — AiMesh technology allows you to establish an even stronger mesh WiFi system with other ASUS AiMesh compatible routers, ensuring stable and seamless whole home coverage.
- Commercial-grade network security for family - AiProtection Pro protects all the connected devices on your home network and advanced parental controls allow you to manage the family's internet usage.
- Mobile App Support - Control and customize every feature at your fingertips using the ASUS Router App for both iOS and Android devices.
Rating is 4.6 out of 5
NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router (R6900P) - AC1900 Wireless Speed (Up to 1900 Mbps), Up to 1800 Sq Ft Coverage & 30 Devices, 4 x 1G Ethernet and 1 x 3.0 USB Ports, Armor Security
- Recommended for up to 30 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- Wired Ethernet ports: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 gigabit Ethernet ports. Microsoft internet explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, Google chrome 11.0 browsers or higher
- Loaded with advanced technology: Designed with a dual core 1GHz processor, 3 amplified antennas, Beamforming+, MU MIMO, Dynamic QoS, Smart Connect, Amazon Alexa Voice Controls, and more
- USB connections: Share a storage drive or printer with any connected device or create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere, using the 1 x 3.0 USB port
- Smart parental controls: Pause device internet access, view site history usage, and filter websites for free; Set online time limits, schedule device internet access, and more for 4.99 dollars /month (1st month free trial)
- NETGEAR Armor protects your network and connected devices from Internet threats; Get peace of mind knowing you have the best in class anti virus, anti malware, and data protection for all your smart devices, smartphones, and computers with a 30 day free trial
- Safe & secure: Supports WPA2 wireless security protocols. Includes Guest Wi-Fi access, DOS, Firewall, VPN, and more. Memory:128 MB flash and 256 MB RAM
Rating is 4.5 out of 5
ASUS WiFi Gaming Router (RT-AC5300) - Tri-Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router, Gaming & Streaming, AiMesh Compatible, Included Lifetime Internet Security, Adaptive QoS, Parental Control, MU-MIMO
- Tri band (Dual 5 GHz, single 2; 4 GHz) with the latest 802; 11AC 4x4 technology for maximum throughput (5334 Mbps) and coverage (up to 5, 000 square feet )
- Mu memo technology enables multiple compatible clients to connect at each client’s respective maximum speed; Supports every operating System, including Windows, Mac OS and Linux
- Built in ACCESS to Waist gamers private network (GPN) of route optimized servers ensures low, stable ping times for gaming; Printer Server ; Multifunctional printer support (Windows only)
- A protection powered by Trend Micro provides multi stage protection from vulnerability detection to protecting sensitive data
- ASUS Smart Connect delivers consistent bandwidth by dynamically switching devices between 2; 4 and 5 GHz bands based on speed, load and signal strength ; NOTE : Refer the user manual ; WAN Connection Type: Internet connection type : Automatic IP, Static IP, Pepo(MPPE supported), PPTP, L2TP.DC Output : 19 Volt with max; 3.42 A current
Rating is 4.4 out of 5
WDropro Wireless Routers for Home 4g LTE Smart WiFi Routers for Computer High Speed Wireless Internet Router with SIM Card Long Range Coverage by 4 Antennas Support T-Mobile and ATT
- 【Internet routers for home】Wifi wireless router nighthawk is a multi-network interface design, routers for wireless internet can provide the wired network for other equipment. The antenna of wireless routers for the home can be rotated freely, and the receiving ability of smart wifi router multiple antennas is good.
- 【Router wireless internet】4g lte router wireless router with sim card slot can plug-in SIM card, internet router transmits WiFi signal, wireless routers highest rated for home easy to have network. Say goodbye to the trouble of no net available thans to the netgear wireless router, plug in the card and have net anytime and anywhere.
- 【Gaming Router nighthawk】This routers for wireless internet is a high-performance 4G broadband wireless router, wifi modem supporting the maximum DL / UL rate of 150 / 50Mbps. Netgear router relying on 2 * 2 MIMO technology, nighthawk router provides high-quality data communication and optimized WiFi data transmission. 4g lte wifi router Diversified WiFi standards and encryption modes ensure the safety and stability of the product.
- 【Nighthawk lte router】Computer router for home with a variety of working modes (4G to WiFi / 4G to cable), cellular modem with rich network protocols and reliable connections, mobile router 4 lte can be widely used in business and home. Computer routers netgear has the function of regular restart and firewall protection.
- 【Wifi routers for home】The built-in hardware watchdog of the modem and wireless router of the wdropro 4g router can effectively prevent the system from crashing during operation. Built in dual firmware of the router extender for wireless internet can automatically recover the system due to software upgrade failure or abnormal startup caused by software.
Rating is 4.3 out of 5
TP-Link AC1900 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A8) -High Speed MU-MIMO Wireless Router, Dual Band Router for Wireless Internet, Gigabit, Supports Guest WiFi
- JD Power Award - Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Wave 2 Wireless Internet Router, 600 Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 1300 Mbps on the 5GHz band
- MU-MIMO Gigabit Router, 3 simultaneous data streams help your devices achieve optimal performance by making communication more efficient
- Boosted WiFi Coverage, Beamforming technology delivers a highly efficient wireless connection, long range WiFi
- Full Gigabit Ports: Create fast, reliable wired connections for your PCs, Smart TVs and gaming console with 4 x Gigabit LAN and 1 x Gigabit WAN. No USB Port
- Parental Controls: Block inappropriate content and set daily limits for how much time your children spend online with parental controls
Rating is 4.2 out of 5
Tenda AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router, High Speed Wireless Internet Router with Smart App, MU-MIMO for Home (AC6),Black
- Get lightning quick connections for all your wireless devices by upgrading to Tenda's enhanced 1200 Mbps high speed Wi fi technology (300mbps@2. 4GHz +867Mbps@5GHz)
- Link up to 20 wireless devices like the Google assistant, Alexa and various steaming devices, simultaneously, while maintaining optimum network conditions
- 4 omni directional antennas with beamforming and Mu Mimo technology, deliver high speed internet throughout your home and provide seamless coverage for up to 2000 Sq. ft.Output：DC 9V1A
- Manage your network from anywhere with the fun to use Tenda Wi fi app and access helpful tools like our parent friendly Wi Fi timeout feature
- 4 LAN ports offer fast and secure wired connections when you need them.Operating Temperature: 0℃ ~ 40℃
- Enjoy safe and secure internet connections for you and your family, with WPA/WPA2 PSK Mixed security and industry level password encryption
- Fully compatible with all major internet providers and perfect for any internet plan (AT&T, Comcast, Spectrum, Verizon, etc.)
Rating is 4.1 out of 5
Linksys AC1200 Wi-Fi Router for Home Networking, Dual Band Wireless Gigabit WiFi Router, Fast Speeds up to 1.2 Gbps, Parental Controls, coverage up to 1,000 sq ft and up to 10 devices (E5600)
- Dual-Band WiFi 6 Router: Covers up to 1,000 sq. ft. and supports 10+ devices
- Easy Setup: Just use your smart phone, iPad, tablet, or computer browser to set up the E5600 in minutes
- 24/7 Support: If you’ve got WiFi questions, we’re here with a friendly support staff available by phone or online
- Push Button Connect: Easily add devices to your network with a push of the WPS button
- Connectivity technology: Ethernet
Rating is 4 out of 5
Motorola MG7700 24x8 Cable Modem Plus AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router with Power Boost, 1000 Mbps Maximum Docsis 3.0 - Approved by Comcast Xfinity, Cox and More
- Fast 24x8 DOCSIS 3.0 cable Modem Plus a built-in AC1900 Dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) Wi-Fi Gigabit Router with four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, power boost Wi-Fi amplifiers, firewall security, and more. The maximum modem speed is 1000 Mbps, supporting service speeds up to 650.
- Eliminate up to $156 per year in cable Modem rental fees. (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by cable service provider.) certified by all leading cable service providers including Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Charter spectrum (no cable Modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
- Built-in high-speed router with AC1900 wireless and Power boost - Provides internet access for Wi-Fi devices including smartphones, notebooks, tablets, and more. 4 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports provide wired connections to Windows and Mac computers and other Ethernet-capable devices. A Broadcom cable Modem Chipset provides security from denial of service attacks.
- Wireless power boost for better speed and range - Adds high-performance Wi-Fi power amplifiers to boost the wireless signals to the legal limit, giving a significant Boost in speed and range. In addition, anybeam Performing at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies focuses the signal on wireless clients to further enhance performance and range
- Minimize shelf space and improve cooling - integrating the cable Modem and router creates a reliable connection that reduces unwieldy wiring and power adapter clutter while conserving desk space. The vertical design looks great in any home or office. A 2-year warranty is the longest in the industry. Rugged Lightning and Power Surge circuits further protect your investment.
Rating is 3.9 out of 5
AC1200 WiFi Router 5GHz Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Router,Touchlink and Beamforming Wireless Internet Router for Home,4x5dBi High-Gain Antennas Provide More Reliable Wi-Fi Connections and Wi-Fi Speeds
- ✅【Advanced Touchlink Technology】Touchlink technology makes the most delightful thing ever when you have a party or invite friends over, touch and connect, your friends and guests can get Wi-Fi access by themselves without needs of telling them the Wi-Fi passwords again and again
- ✅【Unlimited Streaming for All Your Devices】With combined speeds of 867Mbps on the 5GHz band and 300Mbps on the 2.4GHz band up to 1200Mbps. Plus, by automatically assigning devices to the best available channel, the wifi router can connect more devices at the same time, the combined speeds is fast enough to transfer your large digital files and stream high definition video. You can stream in 4K and game online without interruption on your Xbox, PlayStation, PC or Mac
- ✅【Long Range Wi-Fi Router】4x5dBi Omni Directional Antennas and Beamforming Technology works great with wireless internet in homes offices restaurants.It avoids interference to deliver the fastest wireless speeds, improved coverage and reliable connections. TURBO Technology design for your better Wi-Fi experience, just push TURBO button, your network will be optimized. You can do multiplayer gaming, HD streaming, file transfers, video chat, email, and web surfing all at the same time
- ✅【Gigabit Ports for More Needs】Gigabit Ethernet ports operates 10X faster than the standard, which helps your wired devices achieve peak performance. The USB port helps you share content from your connected USB storage devices
Rating is 3.8 out of 5
TP-Link AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router (Archer A20) -MU-MIMO, VPN Server, 1.8GHz CPU, Gigabit Ports, Beamforming, Link Aggregation
- Tri Band Wireless Internet Router for 4K video, streaming and gaming with incredible high speed, 1625 Mbps on both 5 GHz bands and 750 Mbps on 2. 4 GHz band
- Archer A20 V3 with Powerful 1. 8 GHz 64-bit CPU, three co-processors and 512 MB of RAM powers your home network. Works as a great gaming router.
- Eliminate buffering with MU-MIMO technology letting you connect more devices simultaneously. Multiple requests and accelerate loading Times.
- Range boost technology enables far reaching Wi Fi for long range coverage throughout the Home. Supported Operating Systems: OS Independent Up to Windows 10, Mac OS 10. 12 and Linux
- Advanced security: Protect your network and connected devices with a free lifetime subscription to TP-Link HomeCare featuring next-level antivirus, robust parental controls, and QoS.
- Gigabit Wired Speeds-1 WAN and 4 LAN gigabit ports bring wired speeds to the maximum and Link Aggregation even doubles it to 2 Gbps.
What Is The Difference Between Modem And WiFi Router?
As mentioned above, many people use modem and routers interchangeably but they are quite different indeed. Said in simpler terms, if you don't have a modem, then you would not be able to connect to the internet with your router. Put it this way, the modem's sole function is to deliver internet service into your home, directly from your internet provider. But, in order for you to access this service, it has to connect to your wireless router. Once this occurs, your wireless router is able to provide internet connectivity to your devices. However, it's also important to note that back in the early days of the internet, internet service was provided via telephone lines. Back then, modems allowed digital devices to connect to the internet, via analog signals that were used in telephone lines.
However, the drawback with this is that individuals experienced speeds which were measured via kilobytes per second (Kbps), whereas today's internet connections are measured by megabytes. For instance, back in the 90s an internet speed of 100 Kbps was considered ungodly. But, 100 kilobytes equates to 1 megabytes and the average internet speed in todays world is around 100 Mbps. So while modems played a similar role to routers in the past, due to their limits they are only used in today's world for being the truck that delivers internet to the router, which can then be distributed to your devices. You can find some examples of IT assessment proposal on this website.
How To Choose A Wi-Fi Router?
- Compatibility - Arguably, the most important thing you need to consider when it comes to purchasing a wireless router is compatibility. Regardless of how powerful, secure and expensive your chosen router is, if it isn't compatible with broadband service providers in your area, it simply won't function. Therefore, it's highly recommended that you decide which service provider you'd like to sign up for first, then inquire about the list of routers that are compatible with their service.
- Security - Back in the early 2000s, wireless routers came with different kinds of encryption such as WPA2 and WEP. The former was regarded as the most secure, while WEP encryption was vulnerable to what's known as brute force attacks. In today's world most manufacturers utilize WPA2. This helps to ensure that no one snoops on your internet traffic. In addition to ensuring that the router provides WPA2 connections, check for additional security features such as the ability to monitor devices on the network, block users from the network and add encryption.
- Speed - Put it this way, a less than stellar router will bog your internet speed down, while a good router will be able to manage and process all the data which stems from your home network. Based on the fact that your router operates as the bridge between the internet and your device, getting the wrong router can bottleneck your internet connection. Think of it like a computer that is dedicated to routing traffic. If it gets overwhelmed like a traffic cop during rush hour, internet speeds slow to a crawl. This is common in routers that are old or of a lower quality. But in the same breath a router cannot increase your speeds beyond what your internet service provides.
- For example, if you plan to get a plan from xfinity or spectrum which provides up to 400Mbps, but use a router which has a maximum capacity of 300Mbps, you're essentially losing 100Mbps of bandwidth by using that router. Therefore in a situation like this, if you purchase a router that is capable of handling 500Mbps connections, you would be able to fully utilize the 400Mbps speeds that your xfinity or spectrum plan allows.
How To Get Better Wi-Fi In My Room?
Here are some tips to consider when it comes to increasing WiFi coverage in any given room:
- Everything in your home can affect WIFI coverage such as walls, furniture and other objects. As such, try and establish a clear as possible path between your room and your router.
- Get A Router With Performance Enhancement Features - Modern day routers have performance enhancing features such as beamforming and Multi user MiMO.
- Stronger Antenna - In some instances, you may be able to buy a more powerful antenna for your router.