A wireless adapter is hardware device that is usually attached to a computer or other device to allow connection to a wireless network. Nowadays wireless adapters are everywhere, usually but not always as data transfer and amplification points. It is basically an amplifier for your wireless signal. Wireless Adapters serve to expand a computer's functionality such as memory cards or PC cards.
Top USB WiFi Adapters for Ubuntu
Rating is 5 out of 5
BrosTrend 1200Mbps Linux USB WiFi Adapter, Dual Band Network 5GHz/867Mbps + 2.4GHz/300Mbps, Support Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Kali, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Zorin, Raspberry Pi OS and Much More, Windows
- MULTI-OS SUPPORTED: Compatible with Linux kernels up to 5.8, Ubuntu 20.10/20.04/19.10/19.04/18.10/18.04/17.10/17.04/16.10/16.04, Debian 10/9/8, Linux Mint 20/19/18, LMDE 4/3/2/1, Kali, Raspberry Pi OS (Raspbian) 10/9/8, MATE, GNOME, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Budgie, Kylin, MX Linux, Pop! OS, Elementary OS, Zorin OS, KDE neon, antiX Linux, Q4OS, Parrot OS, PureOS, Bodhi, deepin, Linux Lite, SparkyLinux, Peppermint OS, Devuan; Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP; MAC OS X 10.9-10.14
- HARDWARE SUPPORTED: PCs (x86_32, x86_64), Raspberry Pi 2+ (armhf, Kali aarch64), Odroid, VirtualBox
- LINUX TECHNICAL SUPPORT TICKET INCLUDED: Please send Email at firstname.lastname@example.org for expert Linux technical support, please tell us your order number and OS type in the Email
- FAST WI-FI SPEED: You can get 867Mbps Wi-Fi speed on 5GHz band or 300Mbps speed on 2.4GHz band, best choice for online 4K video streaming, gaming, high quality music and Youtube by using this AC1200 dual band Ubuntu wireless adapter; it can work 4 times faster than 802.11b/g/n USB wireless adapter
- WIFI CONNECTION SECURITY ENCRYPTION: Supports WPA3, WPA2, WPA, WEP, to protect your Wifi network security
Rating is 4.9 out of 5
USB WiFi Adapter for PC Latest Long Range Stable Signal 1200Mbps Wireless WiFi Dongle USB 3.0 2.4G/5G 802.11ac Network Adapter with Dual Antenna for Windows XP/10/8/8.1/7/Vista Mac 10.6-10.15,Linux
- High WiFi Speed: AC1200Mbps with 802.11ac, the WiFi speed can be up to 867Mbps on 5.8GHz band or 300Mbps on 2.42GHz band for online gaming and seamless HD video streaming.
- Comes with dual long range WiFi antennas of 5dBi and stable base, this 1200Mbps WiFi adapter ensures range extended WiFi connection and superior stability on your desktop, laptop, PC
- With Dual USB 3.0 socket, comparing with competing products, ours are easily connected to computers or other devices, as well as it’s 10 times faster than 2.0.
- Create a Hot spot with the Soft AP Feature if your computer is under wired Internet connection. You can boost Wi-Fi to your mobile devices from your computer.
- Wide Compatibility: Compatible with Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS.
Rating is 4.8 out of 5
Panda 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter - Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10, Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, CentOS, Lubuntu, Zorin, Kali Linux and Raspbian Wheezy
- Works with any 2.4Ghz wireless g/n routers
- Max. wireless connection speed: 300Mbps
- Supports both infrastructure and ad-hoc modes
- Security: WEP 64/128bit, WPA, WPA2, 802.1x and 802.11i, Cisco CCS V1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 compliant
- Multi-OS support: 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista/ 7/ 8/ 8.1/ 10, Mint 14/15/16/17/17.1/17.2, Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10/14.04/14.10/15.04/15.10, Fedora 18/19/20/21/22, CentOS 6.4/6.5/7
Rating is 4.7 out of 5
USB WiFi Adapter for PC, Desktop, Laptop of Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP, MAC, Linux, 802.11ac 5G/2.4G 5Dbi 1200M Dual Antennas. Wireless USB Adapter 5G for Gaming, WiFi Adapter Desktop Windows.
- [DUAL 5dBi WiFi ANTENNAS] This wireless network adapter can provide ultra-fast network connection and excellent stability,for desktop computer or laptop, with its dual high-gain WIFI antennas and dual 5dBi long rang WiFi antennas.It can enhance the weaker signal, while connectting your computer to a remote wireless network.
- [ULTIMATE WI-FI SPEED] This Wifi adapter can provide you with faster speed of 300Mbps with 802.11n, or 867Mbps with 802.11AC. It is the perfect choice for you to watch HD videos and play online games.
- [USB 3.0] Advanced USB 3.0 can make your device have a faster transmission speed,10 times faster than that with USB 2.0, and it is also compatible with USB2.0 and USB1.1.
- [SOFT AP] If your computer is under a wired Internet, you can use the Soft AP function to create a hotspot, then connect your mobile devices to the WiFi hotspot, enjoying a high-speed wireless network.
- [WININDOS/MAC/LINUX] Available for Mac, Linux, and various versions of the Windows, including Windows 10/8/8.1/7/Vista/XP. It is the perfect choice for you to watch HD videos and play online games.
Rating is 4.6 out of 5
TP-Link USB WiFi Adapter for PC(TL-WN725N), N150 Wireless Network Adapter for Desktop - Nano Size WiFi Dongle Compatible with Windows 10/7/8/8.1/XP/ Mac OS 10.9-10.15 Linux Kernel 2.6.18-4.4.3
- USB Wi-Fi Adapter: Upgrade your Wi-Fi speeds up to 150 Mbps for lag free video streaming and Internet calls
- Stronger Wi Fi Coverage: 2. 4GHz band Wi Fi covers your house everywhere
- Mini Design: allows you to plug it in and forget it is even there; Wireless modes ad hoc/ infrastructure mode; Wireless security supports 64/128 WEP, WPA/WPA2, WPA psk/WPA2 psk (TKIP/AES), supports IEEE 802. 1x
- Industry leading support: 2 Year and Free 24/7 technical support
- Compatibility: Compatible with Windows (XP/7/8/8. 1/10) Mac OS (10. 9 - 10. 15) Linux Kernel (2. 6. 18 - 4. 4. 3)
Rating is 4.5 out of 5
Cudy WU1300 AC 1300Mbps WiFi USB Adapter for PC, USB 3.0, USB WiFi Dongle, 5Ghz /2.4Ghz, WiFi USB, USB Wireless Adapter for Desktop/Laptop, Compatible with Windows Vista /7/8/8.1/10, mac OS, Linux
- AC1300 WiFi SPEED - Up to 400Mbps on 2.4GHz and 867Mbps on 5GHz. Provides long range and lag free connection throughout the house, upgrades your PCs /laptops to 802.11ac, 3 times faster than wireless N speeds
- USB 3.0 PORT - USB 3.0’s blazing fast speed is about 10 times faster than USB 2.0 Port , which can fully meet the AC1300 Wi-Fi speed transmit requirement.
- COMPACT AND CONVENIENT. Wi-Fi USB adapter WU1300's compact design is convenient to carry for mobile users, you can just plug it into the USB port, and take it everywhere, no need to worry about blocking adjacent USB interfaces or that the adapter may fall out.
- GOOD COMPATIBLITY. Compatible with Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista and Mac OS. Works with any router. We offer a CD which contains the driver in the package, you can follow the paper instructions to install the driver. In the same time, if a CD ROM is not convenient for you, we also offer a download address which printed on the manual, you can get the driver from the link.
- SOFT-AP. With Soft-AP mode, this Wireless USB adapter can turn a wired internet connection to a PC or Laptop into a Wi-Fi hotspot, offer WiFi signal to your mobile devices.
Rating is 4.4 out of 5
TP-Link Nano USB Wifi Dongle 150Mbps High Gain Wireless Network Adapter for PC Desktop and Laptops. Supports Win10/8.1/8/7/XP Linux 2.6.18-4.4.3, Mac OS 10.9-10.15 (TL-WN722N)
- USB WiFi Adapter: Exceptional wireless speed up to 150 Mbps brings the best experience for video streaming or internet calls
- Ultimate Range: High gain antennas ensure superior range and stability. Version 2. 0
- Secure: Easy wireless security encryption at a push of the WPS button
- Compatibility: Windows (XP/7/8/8. 1/10) Mac OS (10. 9 -10. 15) Linux Kernel (2. 6. 184. 4. 3)
- 150 Mbps wireless transmission rate Provides two methods of operation: Infrastructure and Ad-Hoc
- 150Mbps wireless transmission rate Provides two methods of operation: Infrastructure and Ad-Hoc
Rating is 4.3 out of 5
USB WiFi Adapter for PC 1200Mbps Dual Band USB 3.0 Fast 2.4GHz/5GHz High Gain 5dBi Antenna 802.11ac WiFi Dongle Wireless Network Adapter for Desktop Laptop Supports Windows Mac and Linux
- 1200Mbps Latest Ultra-Fast Speed WiFi Adapter for PC: Anewish USB wifi adapter supports 802.11ac standard with 1200Mbps, provides fast speed and lag free connection for PC Laptop, excellent for online 4K video, gaming, high quality music, HD streaming Video, etc.
- Dual Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz Provides Flexible Connectivity: Free flexible band connectivity combined with both 2.4G and 5G strengths for USB wifi adapter, giving your PC desktop laptop multiple access to the latest dual band wifi dongle for faster speed and extended range.
- 5dBI High Gain Antenna Ensures Stable Signal in Long Range: Wireless usb wifi adapter with 5dBI powerful antenna greatly enhances the reception and transmission signal strength, which can help you surf at home or enjoy line outside even with over 100 yards of coverage.
- USB3.0 Design to Transfer the Signal More Smooth and Faster: USB3.0 supports transfer rates of up to 5Gbps which 10 times faster than USB 2.0, ensures USB wireless network adapter maximum throughput performance and more stable internet connection (compatible with USB 2.0 and 1.1 too).
These adapters can be located internally or via an external connection. Most devices are equipped with internal WiFi. For most people who simply need to boost their signal to another location, a WiFi Adapter usually does the trick.
In the past getting an USB adapter to work with Linux servers was a problem. Now, the chipset WiFi adapters (also known as dongles) make most Adapters compatible with Linux systems and platforms.
There are a lot of choices around when it comes to these adapters. Again, nowadays most devices come standard with an installed dongle. Be sure to get a set up that meets your requirements. A check should always me made to be sure the USB adapter you are looking at is good for your particular set up. You will definitely want to be sure to get the appropriate drivers for your dongle as well if your using a PC. This will be important for PC users (MAC don't have drivers).
Not all dongles have the same throughput. This will probably the most important thing to pay attention to. For standard data transfer, 150 Mbps data transfer rate should be fine. However, if you are a gamer, or have some other high thru-put needs, you would want to have at least 500 Mbps rate of data transfer. At any rate you should be sure to get the rate of data transfer you need.
Most Adapters will tell you what systems they work well with. If you have an adapter and are making an upgrade, you want to be sure that the new adapter will be similar (compatible) in regard to specifications.
Another issue to consider is the distant between router and wireless adapter. The further you get away from the router you increasingly loose internet speed. The closer you are to there router, the stronger the signal. You will want to be sure to get an adapter that will cover the distance the signal will travel. This is important because of the many adapters on the market. They are all different.
The bottom line is to be sure you understand your current system and make sure the adapter you get is suitable for your current system.