What Linux is Kali Based on?
Linux has been operational for many years. It contains a file that looks like an executable but contains some other program's code inside it. The operating system is updated after every three months to give the clients better services. The system remains known for being a stable, secure, and reliable operating system.
Kali Linux runs well On x86 and at least 384MB RAM to start a graphical environment, but it's better to have 1GB or more. You also need around 30GB of free space on your HD. If you want to compile packages from source code, you will need at least twice as much space depending on the package(s). There are more hacking tools available in the market to suit your daily needs.
What is Kali Linux Used for?
Kali Linux is used in several instances. It can be used on a daily machine as a standard operating system. In most cases, it is used by the following parties:
Security specialists can use it on a personal laptop or workstation. It has a massive collection of security tools that can be used for penetration testing/ethical hacking etc. This is its primary use, and the name was derived from it. It comes from a demon named Kali, who is a Hindu goddess associated with destruction.
A network administrator can also use the same as he may have to hack into a company's network or servers to find out an issue or any threat.
Forensic specialists use it to deal with computer forensics. It has a huge collection of open-source forensic tools that can be used to do its job efficiently. They are not actually hacking into systems but doing an investigation on already hacked or compromised systems.
Kali Linux is also used by coders or programmers mainly for web security testing or web application security testing using tools. It is very helpful in finding out SQL injection issues and running a vulnerable webserver at home without exposing it to the internet. They are also used for learning programming and testing codes.
Hobbyists use it only to hack into networks or servers, to learn security concepts, and write their own tools, which can be helpful in penetration testing. They do not actually hack into systems because they will get caught and sent to jail, which is illegal.
Other uses include teaching security courses and penetration testing companies use it to test their own network. Kali Linux has a great community of users that keeps on growing day by day.
What are the main features of Kali Linux?
The following are the main features of Kali Linux:
- It has a huge collection of penetration testing tools that security experts or hackers use or coders who want to learn web or network security.
- It does not need much hardware resources as it is lightweight and can be run on any machine without facing too many issues.
- It comes with a custom Gnome interface, making penetration testing easy as most tools come with a GUI.
- It is based on Debian, an open-source operating system. This makes it much more reliable and secure than any other similar tool (which are not open source).
- It can be run from Live CD, which can be useful in recovery scenarios when Windows fails to boot up.
- You can use it within Virtual box or VMware, which helps test new tools on virtual machines.
- Kali Linux has its development team, which keeps on adding new features and fixing bugs. They also keep updating it with the latest versions of all tools coming out every day.
- Penetration testing books are also available for free download in pdf format. This makes it popular amongst students and IT professionals who want to become expert penetration testers, hackers, or coders.
Is Kali Linux Safe for Beginners?
There are a lot of things beginners should know about the safety of Kali Linux. For example, we don't recommend installing Kali Linux on your everyday computer because it will require constant maintenance in order to keep up with new security updates that are constantly being released (all Linux distros suffer from this problem). If you want to run Kali Linux on your tired old laptop, make sure you disable the screensaver, lock the screen when in use and either remove or secure any external media.
Kali Linux has tons of tools available for security testers but don't always use the latest greatest tool just because it exists. If you're not sure how to use it or what it does, look for information about it first. There are many great tutorials on Kali Linux available online.
If you want to be a penetration tester, then Kali Linux is the best choice because of the number of tools included in this operating system. You will need some basic knowledge about Linux ways before starting with kali-Linux.